CMS released the fiscal year (FY) 2020 ICD-10-PCS changes on Friday, May 31, which include two code revisions, 734 additions, and 2,056 invalidations.
The files include information on ICD-10-PCS updates that all inpatient coders must use for discharges occurring from October 1, 2019, through September 30, 2020. The total number of ICD-10-PCS codes for 2019 was 78,881. This number has decreased for FY 2020 to 77,559 codes.
In its update, CMS revised codes W03372 and XW04372, which previously described the introduction of Factor Xa Inhibitor Reversal Agent, Andexanet Alfa. These updated codes, listed below, now describe the introduction of Inactivated Coagulation Factor Xa:
- XW03372, Introduction of Inactivated Coagulation Factor Xa into peripheral vein, percutaneous approach, New Technology Group 2
- XW04372, Introduction of Inactivated Coagulation Factor Xa into central vein, percutaneous approach, New Technology Group 2
The code update added a significant amount of new Bypass codes, as well new codes for various replacement, insertion, and transfusion procedures.
These new ICD-10-PCS codes include, but are not limited to:
- 031409W, Bypass of the left subclavian artery to the lower extremity vein with autologous venous tissue, open approach
- 03150KW, Bypass of the right axillary artery to the lower extremity vein with nonautologous tissue substitute, open approach
- 06L27ZZ, Occlusion of the gastric vein, via natural or artificial opening
- 0HR2X72, Replacement of the right ear skin with autologous tissue substitute, cell suspension technique, external approach
- 0QH937Z, Insertion of an intramedullary limb lengthening internal fixation device into the left femoral shaft, percutaneous approach
- 30240U2, Transfusion of an allogeneic related t-cell depleted hematopoietic stem cells into the central vein, open approach
The rule also invalidated many ICD-10-PCS codes, most of which were for dilation procedures. Some of these include:
- 03753D6, Dilation of the right axillary artery, bifurcation, with intraluminal device, percutaneous approach
- 0471066, Dilation of the celiac artery, bifurcation, with three drug-eluting intraluminal devices, open approach
- 047C3F6, Dilation of the right common iliac artery, bifurcation, with three intraluminal devices, percutaneous approach
- 047N046, Dilation of left the popliteal artery, bifurcation, with drug-eluting intraluminal device, open approach
- 047N3G6, Dilation of the left popliteal artery, bifurcation, with four or more intraluminal devices, percutaneous approach
For More Information: https://revenuecycleadvisor.com/news-analysis/cms-releases-fy-2020-icd-10-pcs-code-set